Natural Triad Article, May 2020 Edition
Those who have the privilege to know have the duty to act, and in that action are the seeds of knew knowledge. ~ Albert Einstein
While Einstein wasn’t a physician, I believe that today he would be urging physicians trained in environmental and nutritional medicine to speak up. Our ability to survive and thrive during this viral attack of SARS-CoV-2 has more to do with our general health—our nutritional deficiencies, our total toxic load, our stress level, and our resilience—not just the virulence of the virus.
Wait... Don't you mean COVID-19?
Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola). Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV). Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is the role of the World Health Organization (WHO), so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).
ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on February 11, 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different. On the same day, WHO announced “COVID-19” as the name of this new disease, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
So, Let’s Fight Fear With Facts
Remember, the vast majority of people with SARS-CoV-2 appear to have mild illness, especially children. Researchers are investigating what makes certain populations more vulnerable to severe illness. However, we know from other viral illnesses that there are ways to reduce our susceptibilities to serious illness.
In the 1800s, Louis Pasteur discovered the cause of childbirth fever. It was due to a specific bacterium—and the germ theory was born. And Antoine Béchamp advocated a conflicting theory from the germ theory. Germs were everywhere and even existed inside of us in a symbiotic relationship. We now call these germs our microbiome. Béchamp determined that it was only when the tissues of the host were damaged or compromised that germs cause symptoms.
To prevent illness, he advocated enhancing one’s health using diet, hygiene, and healthy lifestyle practices such as fresh air and exercise. The idea was that if a person had a strong immune system and good tissue quality (or “terrain” as Béchamp called it), germs would not cause disease, and the person would have good health.
True: the germ plays a part. Also true: so does our terrain.
While everyone needs to follow current guidelines established by the CDC, if you are older or you have diabetes, pre-diabetes, cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease, autoimmune disease, cancer (especially after chemotherapy), mold illness or other chronic infection, you are immunocompromised. You must, even more closely, follow recommendations to improve your overall health, rev up your immune system, and reduce your exposure to the virus.
The International College of Integrative Medicine believes that objectively reporting the known scientific facts will reduce fear and panic surrounding the disease. Furthermore, conventional medicine formally endorses no treatment currently (other than supportive care).
Importantly, integrative physicians have a large armamentarium of preventive and treatment protocols which have been successfully used for similar viruses, including other strains of coronaviruses (SARS and MERS). They believe it is their obligation and privilege to share these with the community at large. They recommend consultation with an experienced physician, naturopath, or herbalist for anyone exploring integrative remedies.
If we can reduce our individual susceptibility to serious illness, our likelihood of developing only mild symptoms if we are infected is much higher.
First Things First: How Can You Protect Your Family From SARS-CoV-2?
These are commonsense measures to protect yourself from SARS-CoV-2 :
- Wash hands frequently, especially before eating or touching your face. Washing hands with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds is the best option. But you must wash your hands the RIGHT WAY! Be sure to read Dr. Elisa Song's article, Handwashing & Coronavirus: Are you doing it the right way?
- Use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. If you don’t have access to soap and water, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer is the next best thing. But it must be at least 60%—this is the percentage found to kill coronavirus in studies.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth! The first step is being mindful of how often we actually touch our faces! Varying studies have shown that we touch our faces on average 23-50 times per hour!
- Stay home when you’re sick, unless you need urgent medical attention. You may be increasing your possible exposures to SARS-CoV-2 if you don’t have it or exposing others unnecessarily if you do.
- Cover your cough with your elbow or tissues. If you use a tissue, immediately throw it into the trash and wash your hands.
- Keep your distance. Stay at least 6 feet away from anyone living outside your home.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask. The CDC now recommends that people who are well wear a mask when venturing out of the home to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including SARS-CoV-2 . If you’re unable to acquire a mask from a store, you can make your own using the a pattern provided by the CDC. Facemasks should also be used by people who show symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- When you get home, leave your shoes at the front door or in your garage. Don't track any potential virus particles into your house by wearing your shoes into the house.
- Take your clothes off and wash them in hot water to kill the virus.
- Take your daily shower after your last trip out of your home.
- Irrigate your nose, preferably with a saline/xylitol solution. While studies have not yet been published on prevention of SARS-CoV-2 , integrative physicians know that one of the MOST preventive things you can do for any viral respiratory illness is to irrigate your nasal passages with a Neti Pot using saline or Xlear® nasal rinse packets at the end of every day and after any potential exposure (work, school, playgroups, plane travel, etc.). One study found that people who did preventive daily nasal irrigation had significantly fewer episodes of upper respiratory symptoms, shorter symptom duration, and fewer days with nasal symptoms compared to those who did not irrigate their noses daily. If you just cannot bring yourself to use a neti pot, Xlear is a saline nasal spray with xylitol and grapefruit seed extract, both of which have antimicrobial properties. You can also spray inside your nose and throat several times with Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ (Sovereign Silver or Arqentyn 23) or an herbal tincture of propolis to kill any virus that you picked up while outside. If you are going out several times, do this after your last trip outside your home. You cannot overdo it and will not get “addicted” to it. Apart from regular hand washing, daily and frequent nasal irrigation is one of the MOST important things that we can do to prevent influenza and other viral respiratory infections from taking hold.This is because after exposure, both the influenza and the SARS-CoV-2 viruses try to invade and multiply in your nasal passages for at least 1-5 days before you develop any symptoms. Nasal irrigation can wash away viral particles before they can take hold, and thereby prevent many infections from happening in the first place!
- Load up on foods and spices with antiviral properties. These include coconut oil, raw garlic, oregano, ginger, kimchi and other fermented foods, walnut, pomegranate, green tea, apple cider vinegar, and medicinal mushrooms (shiitake, maitake, reishi, cordyceps, and turkeytail).
- Eat more organic foods. The Environmental Working Group (aka EWG) just released their most recent copy of the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 vegetables and fruits. The Dirty Dozen have the highest amounts and types of chemical toxins. Choose to eat organic versions of these, which still may be contaminated but in much lower amounts. The Clean 15 have the least toxins. If buying organic vegetables is too taxing on your wallet right now, just eat from the Clean 15 list. Or the 20-plus other fruits and vegetables listed between the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15. They do not have to be organic. If you just cannot resist the toxic strawberries or toxic kale, don't lose sleep over it; worry just compounds the damage. Simply do the best you can.
- Eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables—the freshest, most colorful ones you can afford. They are full of antioxidants which will destroy the free radicals that weaken our immune systems and are responsible for making us feel sick when we catch a bug. Each color provides different antioxidant power—so be sure to eat a rainbow every day. Two-thirds of your plate should be covered with vegetables, even at breakfast!
- Stay well-hydrated. Stick to water, coconut water, herbal teas, and bone broth. What’s a good estimate for how much water you need at a minimum? Divide your body weight (in pounds) in half and drink that number in ounces! Drink clean water. Shower in it if you can! If nothing else, buy a Brita® or ZeroWater® water filter and use it. This, alone, will get many drugs, toxins and pollutants out of your water. Remember: If you don't use a filter, YOU are the filter!
- Exercise daily. Move your body. Do a variety of types of exercise: pushups, tai chi, yoga, dance, hiking or cycling on the greenways if they are still open. Exercise strengthens your immune system.
- Drink your bone broth! Bone broth has amazing immune-supporting properties. See Amazing Bone Broth to get started easily making your own.
- Eat fermented foods. The probiotics contained in fermented foods have tremendous immune-boosting powers. In fact, the fermented Korean cabbage, kimchi, was found to have significant effects in preventing and fighting the H1N1 influenza virus! Other examples of delicious fermented foods to try including sauerkraut, pickles, miso, kefir, and kombucha. Eat a small serving daily.
- Avoid simple sugars and processed/junk food. Your blood shows lab evidence of a lowered immune system within 30 minutes of eating simple sugars (like glucose, refined sugar, and fructose), and causes a 50% reduction in your white blood cells’ abilities to kill germs! White blood cells are our “army” cells that fight off germs. This effect is most noticeable two hours after ingestion but is still present five hours later! Keeping blood sugar levels healthy has been shown to improve immune system activity. This is partly why prediabetics and diabetics are at increased risk. If one’s blood sugar goes over 200, our white cells are paralyzed and do not help fight infection!
- Get fresh air and moderate daily exercise. Moderate exercise can boost the production of macrophages, the kind of white blood cells that “eat” bacteria and viruses. However, intense exercise can temporarily decrease immune function—so don’t overdo it!
- Get adequate sleep. An increase in sleep actually increases the number of your white blood cells. On the other hand, loss of sleep even for a few hours at night, increases inflammation in our body which makes us more susceptible to catching the flu, and the corona virus, and having more severe symptoms. Turn your Wi-Fi off at night to give your brain, heart, and entire body a break from being exposed to such intense EMF. Visit mdsafetech.org for solid information about the dangers of EMF.
- Spend time daily in gratitude, prayer, and meditation to reduce stress. Emotional stress creates physiological stress in our bodies that lowers our immune defenses and makes us more vulnerable to illness. Stress has been shown to lower our white blood cells’ abilities to kill germs. Stress also creates more inflammation that may make us feel sicker.
- Clean and disinfect. Clean frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe. Pay attention to instructions. Some cleaners require 10 MINUTES of contact time for disinfection to occur.
Keep Your Immune System As Strong As Possible
Keep your immune system stronger with the following nutritional supplements to give your body even more antiviral defense. The physicians of the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service and the International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine urge a nutrient-based method to prevent or minimize symptoms for future viral infection. Minimum supplemental levels (when provided) are recommended for adults; for children reduce these in proportion to body weight:
- Fish oil: Omega-3 essential fats have a host of immune benefits too long to list! The standard recommended dose is 1000-2000 mg daily, taken with food.
- Probiotics: One study showed a dramatic reduction in fever and upper respiratory symptoms in children who took a probiotic with a specific combination of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium daily throughout the cold and flu season. This particular combination of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium can be found in Metagenics MetaKids Chewable probiotic, Ultra Flora Synergy powder, and Ultra Flora Balance capsules. The recommended dosage for children and adults is ¼ tsp 2x/day, 1 capsule 2x/day, or 1 chew 2x/day. Probiotics are why fermented foods pack such a punch, so if your child’s palate hasn’t expanded yet to include a lot of fermented foods, be sure to give him/her a probiotic supplement to keep his/her gut and immune system healthy!
- Vitamin C: 1,000 to 5,000 milligrams (or more) daily, in divided doses (two to six times a day) with or without food. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, which kills viruses and increases our ability to ward off and deal with infection. Metagenics Ultra-Potent C is a great option because it has the added ingredients lysine and glutathione, which assist in fighting viruses. Note: 1000 mg three times daily is a LOW dose. Vitamin C is water soluble and easily enters all your cells, but it is also quickly eliminated through the kidneys over a few hours. So, it must be taken at least two to three times daily. Work up to higher doses. Increase if you get sick. Liposomal C is more expensive, but for those who get diarrhea at a very low dose of vitamin C it can be very helpful. One teaspoon twice daily on an empty stomach is 2000 mg total, but it is so well-absorbed that it is equivalent to 6000 mg of regular oral capsules or tablets daily.
Dr. Thomas Levy is a well-known proponent of IV and high dose oral vitamin C; it maintains a lower Intracellular Oxidative Stress, (aka IOS), with the help of magnesium. This IV combination maintains cellular health. Intravenous vitamin C is now officially recognized by the government of Shanghai in their protocol published by the Chinese Medical Association for treatment of COVID-19. IV vitamin C is now being used to treat the pneumonia caused by SARS-CoV-2.
At a recent online conference Dr. Levy suggested that everyone, as a baseline during this pandemic, be on magnesium, vitamin C, glutathione, vitamin D, and zinc.
- Vitamin D3: 2,000-5,000 International Units daily, taken with food. To build up your system, start with 5,000 IU/day for two weeks, then reduce to 2,000 IU/day. There is speculation that rates of illness increase over the winter because of the widespread deficiency of vitamin D. Studies have shown that people who supplement with adequate levels of vitamin D3 during the cold and flu season have significantly lower rates of infection. Vitamin D calms down the tendency for the body to over-react to infections. Keep your blood D level in the high-normal range (i.e. between 80 and 100 ng/ml).
- Zinc: 20-50 mg daily, taken with food. Zinc is required for the normal functioning of white blood cells. Supplementing with just 15 mg of zinc per day in adults improves our immune cells’ ability to ward off infection. Zinc is a critical nutrient in stopping our intracellular machinery from being overtaken by the RNA virus, SARS-CoV-2. Adequate levels of zinc inside the cell block the virus from using an enzyme called RNA polymerase, which uses our own RNA to make duplicate copies of the viral RNA! If you are low in zinc—and most people are—you get a more severe infection with SARS-CoV-2. For optimum absorption, make sure to choose a chelated formula like Zinc picolinate or glycinate. Cut back if you get a metallic taste in your mouth. And remember that Roundup®, which is in many foods, compromises your immunity by binding zinc in your gut so that you never get to absorb it. In other words, it renders you zinc deficient so you can't fight off this or any virus!
- Magnesium: 400-800 mg daily with food in divided doses (two to four times daily). Start low and increase by one pill or capsules every two to three days. Cut back if you get diarrhea. If tolerated, it may be taken with or without food. Make sure your magnesium is chelated—sourced as magnesium glycinate, citrate, malate, lysinate or taurate. Some people prefer ionic magnesium like magnesium chloride. The most important function of magnesium is assisting in the creation of energy and a healthy environment inside our cells. It is an antioxidant, just like vitamin C, and is responsible for maintaining a healthy IOS in the trillions of cells making up our body. Magnesium is also required for the structural integrity of numerous body proteins. (To date, over 3,700 magnesium receptor sites have been found on human proteins!). Additionally, magnesium is a required cofactor for the activity of hundreds (700-800) of enzyme processes.
- Glutathione: Anyone with underlying brain dysfunction, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue should try oral liposomal glutathione one teaspoon, 500 mg daily. Glutathione is the most plentiful antioxidant that our bodies make. It primarily works inside the cells to lower IOS with Vitamin C and Magnesium. It is also a superb detoxifying agent. It can be taken orally, and better quality supplements achieve meaningful, effective levels inside the body. Liposomal products are best taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast. They can be repeated if needed later in the day and will need to be repeated and increased if you get sick with SARS-CoV-2.
- Selenium: 50-100 mcg (micrograms) daily with food - This antioxidant helps lower oxidative stress in your body, which reduces inflammation and enhances immunity. Studies have demonstrated that increased blood levels of selenium are associated with enhanced immune response.
- Melatonin: Melatonin 20 mg x 1-2 nightly for starters. Deep sleep is critical. And it works alongside Vitamin D to calm down an over-reactive immune system. Add smaller daytime doses if you get sick. Dr. Klinghardt also recommends even higher dose Melatonin to prevent the cytokine storm pneumonia. Many thanks to Elisa Song, MD, whose article was utilized for a large portion of this information.
- Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ as mentioned earlier can also be taken orally, one teaspoon 3x a day to enhance immunity, or in higher oral doses or by aerosol for lung infections.
It’s Starting To Get Scary Out There. What Can I Do? What If I’m Sick? What If I Get Sick?
To begin with, don’t panic. And don’t assume that you don’t already have the virus just because you feel well. We know that asymptomatic patients can transmit the infection; therefore, until we are able to identify which asymptomatic patients are carriers by expanding our testing, we must assume that ANYONE has the potential to spread the virus. (Even the people who have recently “recovered.” More later.)
The average incubation time is just over five days—with a range of four to seven days—and a few people develop symptoms after 12 days of incubation. If you have been home alone without leaving the house or having any company whatsoever for seven to ten days and have not gotten sick, then it’s less likely that you have an asymptomatic infection, but it’s not ruled out. Now, more than ever, we need more social support, so use the technology we have to call, text, and video conference with your loved ones, but make sure you comply with local physical distancing recommendations!
If You Begin to Feel Sick…
Do the things we’ve mentioned above to limit the spread and to reduce your symptoms and begin to feel better. STAY HOME! If you are concerned, call or message your doctor and follow their advice. Get tested.
…and increase your zinc to a maximum dose of 50 mg twice a day.
…and increase your magnesium to 200mg 4x/day as tolerated.
For more information on how to use Bio-active Silver Hydrosol™ and vitamin C to fight flu and viruses, contact Chris via our direct message feature or the Contact Us page. Fifteen-minute telemedicine appointments to discuss SARS-CoV-2 and flu treatment with Dr. Elizabeth Vaughan are available for a limited time and on a limited basis.
…and increase your melatonin to 50mg nightly and 10 mg at breakfast and lunch, which Dr. Klinghardt and I have found works great to eliminate symptoms of SARS-CoV-2. Dr. Klinghardt suggests that the reason that pregnant women, children and young adults are relatively resistant to the pneumonia complication of from SARS-CoV-2 is because they have higher levels of melatonin.
Older people need to take more melatonin to protect themselves. The final dose should be completed by 10 PM at the very latest. During the daytime, use lower doses: 5-10 mg in the morning and afternoon. Pills and creams are available. ADVISORY: This daytime suggestion does not apply to people who are diabetics or who have insulin resistance since melatonin is able to suppress insulin.
Be aware that blood sugar levels may rise! If this happens to you, do not take melatonin before three in the afternoon; only take it at night.
I know, you are rolling your eyes at these doses. I understand! They are large doses, so work up to it! Start with 5, 10 or 20 mg at night. Slowly increase the dose as tolerated. (If you get wild and crazy dreams, back down on the dose and try to increase it more slowly.) Know that certain patients with cancer are using high dose melatonin-60 mg four times a day-to fight the cancer, so it is possible to adjust to higher doses.
Lower your ambient light at night: on your phone, computer, TV, and in your home. Light disrupts y our own natural melatonin production.
…and increase your vitamin C intake. Taking vitamin C in its powdered form ensures you are getting a the purest, most potent formula. Powdered vitamin C has fewer ingredients, a longer shelf half-life, and is cheaper than capsules or tablets. Increase dosing to every 4-6 hours, up to a total dose of up to 5 grams every four hours. The maximum dose of vitamin C recommendations vary. One recommendation if you are older and/or more susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 is one gram (1000 mg) hourly to total 10 to 18 grams per day, depending upon your tolerance level. Another recommendation is to take up to five grams or 5000 mg every four hours. Either way, if you experience loose stools, cut back on your dose. Or switch to liposomal C 1000 mg/tsp 1-2 teaspoon 4x/day taken on an empty stomach.
…and increase or start liposomal glutathione as discussed earlier. One of my patients had to take 2000 mg, 4 teaspoons, four times a day and felt back to normal after three days. She will continue all of this for a total of 14 days.
…and increase Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ if you are on this. You cannot overdose. More later.
NOTE: DO NOT SELF TREAT! Find an integrative physician to work with before you get sick or call your conventional doctor to be assessed. Deterioration in lung function can happen very quickly.
FDA Cries, “FOUL!”
On March 6, 2020, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) notified seven different companies that they were fraudulently selling products that could potentially ameliorate or treat SARS-CoV-2. They included colloidal silver and essential oils in addition to some teas and tinctures that were herbal in nature.
While I understand the FDA’s concern, since their officials are not trained in herbal and integrative medicine (nor do they regulate them), I believe they are overreaching in their condemnation of some of these products because they simply are not familiar with them and are not aware of studies that show how they work in treating various illnesses and enhancing one’s immune system.
There are several natural products that have been shown to be helpful in treating mild, moderate, and sometimes even severe cases of illness. These products include American ginseng, echinacea, higher dose vitamin C, and ultrafine colloidal silver (better known as Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™).
While I do not practice Traditional Chinese Medicine, included here is a list of well-accepted herbs that have been found to help with viral infections:
Shuanghuanglian with honeysuckle, Chinese skullcap and forsythia, Bupleurum, Heteromorpha, Scrophularia scorodonia, Lycoris radiata, Artemisia annua, Pyrrosia lingua, Lindera aggregata, Isatis indigotica, Torreya nucifera, and Houttuynia cordata.
Another supplement that the FDA scoffed at was silver hydrosol. Clearly, they do not have any experience treating pulmonary infections with silver aerosols.
These two supplements, made by Natural Immunogenics in Florida, are some of the finest silver hydrosols in the world. They use ultra-fine, nano particles of silver that, when in contact with a virus, obliterate it! It is in high demand from integrative physicians. Fortunately, NVC has a significant (though limited) supply in stock and has even more on order. The reason it is in high demand and the reason that it flies off our shelves is because it works!
I have treated numerous patients with complicated lung infections, including my own father, with silver hydrosol. There’s absolutely no chance of developing argyria, which is excessive accumulation of silver, and the silver in Argentyn 23 and Sovereign Silver is so fine that it does not trigger any type of foreign body reaction in the lungs.
It bears repeating that I cannot attest to the efficacy of silver hydrosol against SARS-CoV-2. It’s a new virus, and so the studies just aren’t there. What I can say is that Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ has been used to successfully eradicate other corona viruses, specifically SARS and MERS.
My recommendation is to for people to first proactively use Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ 1 teaspoon 3 times daily as a powerful preventative to build up their immune system. NOTE: Do not mix silver hydrosol with ANYTHING other than distilled water. It will inactivate it.
The Case for Chloroquine
What’s all the confusion about these drugs? Thursday evening, March 19, 2020, I attended a web conference by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt MD PhD, who is widely known for his expertise in unusual infections and illnesses. He explained that neither chloroquine nor hydroxychloroquine kill the virus. They act as ionophores for zinc. That means that the drugs enhance the ability of zinc to enter the cells of your body and zinc then blocks the cellular machinery that makes baby viruses.
I endorse further studies, but for goodness sake, don’t deny the drug to people who are sick! The French and Chinese have already shown that it works, as have the Koreans. It will work better with sufficient zinc. I suggest checking zinc levels in the studies and/or putting everyone on zinc as recommended earlier, since most people are zinc deficient. Remember, the drugs work optimally with enough zinc present.
Dr. Klinghardt also shared recent articles that are primarily coming out of China and France that discuss the use of chloroquine—and alternatively hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin—for treatment of acute pneumonia with SARS-CoV-2.
A study released on February 4 from China by Wang, M. et al showed that chloroquine phosphate (CQ) effectively inhibited the growth of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro i.e. not in patients, but in the laboratory in a test tube.
A February 20 consensus paper from China by Zhonghua, et al recommended that patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia receive CQ 500 mg twice daily in a tablet form for 10 days since this drug has shown good activity against other coronaviruses. Initial results were promising, and others are ongoing.
Another study out of France by Gautret, P. et al published on March 17 showed that hydroxychloroquine (a cousin of CQ) combined with azithromycin (Zithromax Z-Pak) reduced the amount of the virus that they were carrying by day six. This combo shortened the duration of infection.
The authors suggest that:
Among candidate drugs to treat SARS-CoV-2, repositioning [or repurposing] of old drugs for use as antiviral treatment is an interesting strategy because knowledge on dosing, safety profile, side effects, and drug interactions are well known.
…Hydroxychloroquine (an analogue of chloroquine) has been demonstrated to have an anti-SARS-CoV activity in vitro. Hydroxychloroquine clinical safety profile is better than that of chloroquine (during long-term use) and allows higher daily dose and has fewer concerns about drug-drug interactions.
…Azithromycin added to hydroxychloroquine was significantly more efficient for virus elimination.
Perhaps this is due to its inherent anti-inflammatory effect, which is separate from its antibiotic effect?
This was an open label, non-randomized clinical trial. There were a total of 40 patients. The 20 in the treatment group were cured!
On March 23 an article by Dr. Jeff Colyer and Dr. Daniel Hinthorn entitled, These Drugs Are Helping Our COVID–19 Patients was published on the opinion page of the Wall Street Journal. They used the protocol outlined from China for treatment of patients with SARS-CoV-2, employing the use of chloroquine with success; however, they then switched to the combination described in the above French study using Zithromax and hydroxychloroquine. They stated,
Our experience suggested hydroxychloroquine, with or without a Z-Pak, should be a first line treatment. Unfortunately, there’s already a shortage of hydroxychloroquine. The federal government should immediately contract with generic manufacturers to ramp up production. Any stockpiles should be released... Rapid and strategic use of these drugs could help arrest the spread of the disease.
They also stated that,
…the public expects an answer, and we don’t have the luxury of time. We have a drug with an excellent safety profile but limited clinical outcomes—and no better alternatives until long after this disaster peaks. We can use this treatment to help save lives and protect others from becoming infected. Or we can wait several weeks and risk discovering we didn’t do everything we could do in this pandemic as quickly as possible.
A review from this country by Todaro, J. & Rigano, G., et al, in consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, reported that:
Recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that [CQ] is an effective antiviral therapeutic treatment against [SARS-CoV-2 ]. Use of [CQ] (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay. US CDC research shows that [CQ] also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab…
[Since we do not have a vaccine yet, CQ] is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune, and various other conditions.
Since CQ is not available in Korea, doctors there are using hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice daily, as the drug is widely available. “Treatment is suitable for 7 to 10 days, which can be shortened or extended depending on clinical progress.” (I suggest that treatment with drugs AND/OR supplements in high enough doses to treat the infection be continued for 14 days. Dr. Klinghardt reported that the virus will continue to replicate for this period of time, so that “healed or cured” or convalescing patients may still be carriers of the disease.)
NOTE: These pharmaceuticals must be prescribed and taken under the direction of a physician who is familiar with these drugs.
Why is this Pandemic even Happening?
Yes, it’s a new virus and it’s dangerous. But, could it also be that the world in which we live has changed and so we are—all of us—at increased risk?
Environmental doctors always look at the total body burden or total load that patients have: “Why did this person, in this family, get Lyme Disease when everyone got tick bites?” “Why did this woman get breast cancer or that man get prostate cancer?”
We live in a very different world than the one in which our parents grew up, and it has a profound impact on our health.
Let’s put this coronavirus pandemic in perspective:
SARS-CoV-2 is just one of many epidemics that we are now facing because our world is changing rapidly. There are more people with autoimmune disease, more people with neurodegenerative or infectious disorders, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s in adults and ADHD, Autism, and Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (aka PANS) in children. We have ongoing epidemics of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, prediabetes and obesity, and more chronic infections like Lyme, Bartonella, and mold.
Is this all being caused just by bad luck and an aging population? Let’s look at how our lifetime exposures have changed:
- Increased numbers of vaccinations in early childhood. There were only eight in the early 1990s; now there are over 45. Most children will do okay with these, but some will not. Their immune systems may get turned on in ways that compromise their ability to fight SARS-CoV-2.
- Too much processed food. In a recent web conference Jill Carnahan, MD, a Functional Medicine practitioner, recently suggested that if you’re eating a Standard American Diet (SAD) your health is compromised—too much sugar, too many bad fats, too many calories, too many preservatives and food additives in processed food.
- Food that is lacking nutrients and contains toxins. Many food products today are made of, or contaminated with, Genetically Modified (GM) foods that are drenched with Roundup® or other chemical toxins that bind up minerals and damage our gut microbiome and the lining of our gut. As mentioned before, Roundup® also binds up zinc so our bodies can’t absorb it.
- The introduction of Xenobiotics. Dr. Carnahan went on to discuss Xenobiotics—substances that are foreign to the body or to an ecological system. Examples of xenobiotics are toxins that we are exposed to on a regular basis: pesticides in our homes to keep termites and ants out of our space, formaldehyde in new houses and wrinkle-free sheets and clothing, and other volatile organic chemicals, including fabric softeners, air fresheners like Febreze, and scented candles. All these items can have a toxic effect on our bodies.
- She also discussed exposure from electromagnetic frequency (EMF), Wi-Fi, cell phones and smart meters. 5G will only make this worse. Not everyone will be affected by it, but a lot of people will, and it will compromise their immune system, brain and/or cardiac functions.
- Heavy metals—like mercury from big fish and dental fillings and lead from contaminated tap water—contribute to our total body load.
- Food and environmental allergies wear us down and create an imbalance in our bodies.
- Medications contribute as well.
- Internal toxins and damage to the immune system compromise the health of those with autoimmune disease, mold illness, Lyme, or Epstein Barr Virus.
- The health of individuals with hormonal imbalances or metabolic toxins that that are not processed correctly is compromised. Any hypothyroidism contributes to significant immunocompromise, according to Dr. Thomas Levy.
So, here’s the key question: What is your total body burden?
How healthy were you before this pandemic arrived? That is what is going to determine how well you respond to the virus. Some people must be more careful to avoid the virus and take more supplements to improve their ability to fight off and limit damage from SARS-CoV-2. Anything that you can do to clean up your environment and your body will reduce the load that your body is carrying and increase your margin and your resilience.
How stressed are you?
Insomnia. Isolation. Loneliness. Hostility. Fear. We now have a double-dose due to the pandemic. Here’s a newsflash: increased fear and stress compromise your immune system and make you even more of a sitting duck if you get exposed to the virus!
We get the occasional stories of heroism and generosity, but the bulk of what we see and hear may generate a lot of fear and anxiety. Yes, everyone needs to be very respectful of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and observe the recommended lifestyle modifications to mitigate its spread, but fear doesn’t help anybody.
Reduce your fears any way that works for you:
- Stop watching TV news. Choose when and where you want to get your information about SARS-CoV-2 and your communities’ response to the pandemic. Limit your exposure daily. Get information from your local paper, not TV. You can limit your exposure to scary stories more easily by reading than by watching TV. Instead, use the TV to watch uplifting and funny movies and programs.
- Meditate and/or practice mindfulness. Try yoga if you can’t get your brain to calm down. Go for a meditative walk outside. Keep a gratitude journal. Connect with your higher power every day. Say grace at each meal.
- Unplug. I know it seems like it, but everything is NOT online now. When was the last time you were able to put your life on pause? How many times have you wished that you had a bit more downtime to focus on what’s important in your life? You have it right now. Take advantage of it. Learn a new language, pick up an old or new hobby, be a better parent.
- Establish a routine if you are out of work. Routines are comforting. Read a book. Find a new recipe to try in the kitchen. Reacquaint yourself with that musical instrument that’s been collecting dust. Draw. Paint. Color. Work a jigsaw puzzle.
- Look for the silver linings. Realize all the wonderful things that are happening in our world as a result of this pandemic. Did you know the skies in China are clear and blue, not grey and filled with soot? Did you know conventional doctors are acknowledging the utility of IV vitamin C in critical care units around the world? Maybe, this will be the time (finally) that the use of high dose vitamin C will reach a critical mass, so it is no longer relegated to the status of snake oil.
- Try grounding yourself or Earthing. Grounding and Earthing serve as an energetic “reboot” and improve your immune system. Step barefoot outside in your yard, sit down on the ground or in a chair and put your feet on the ground. Wiggle your toes so you connect with dirt. This will provide profound healing for your body. It energizes your entire body through your Chinese meridians. Mother Nature’s gift to you, the earth’s ground current, is waiting for you to reconnect for 20-30 minutes once a day. It takes about 20 minutes for many people to feel a gentle tingling sensation in their feet and calves, during which you can meditate or read a book. Talk with a neighbor (who stays six or more feet away).
- We need physical distancing not social distancing. Spend this at-home time with your family. Touch and hug each other. Turn “shelter at home” into a long, meaningful staycation. If you live alone, connect over the Internet. Explore apps like Zoom, Skype or Houseparty.
In summary, remember, it’s the germ AND the terrain. Do these things:
- Avoid the bad stuff.
- Clean up your terrain.
- Increase the good stuff
- Manage your stress
- Count your blessings.
By Elizabeth R. Vaughan MD